What do malocclusions look like? Malocclusions, also commonly referred to as “bad bites”, refer to misalignments and incorrect fits with your teeth and jaws. Malocclusions can be caused by a variety of issues, many of which are out of your control. For all the various types and styles of common bad bites that may be influencing your smile, see the list below:
– Crossbites manifest when your lower jawbone protrudes out farther than your upper jawbone.
– Underbites, also known as bulldog teeth, manifest when your lower incisors protrude out further than the upper incisors.
– Open Bites manifest when you have disconnected upper and lower incisors when biting down.
– Spacing malocclusions manifest with overcrowded teeth or large gaps between teeth.
– Misplaces midlines manifest when the center of your upper incisors (front teeth) do not correctly align with the center of your lower incisors.
– Transposition malocclusions manifest when your teeth erupt above the gum line in the wrong space.
– Rotation malocclusions manifest when your teeth rotate out of their proper alignment.
– Overbites, also called upper protrusions or buck teeth, manifest when your upper incisors protrude out farther than your lower incisors.
If you would like to discuss possible treatment options with Dr. Michael Hiller and the rest of our team here at Hiller Orthodontics, please schedule an appointment to come see us at our orthodontic office in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Our number is 225-924-7367. We look forward to helping you decide which options will work best in your quest for a straighter smile.